TC340: The Book of Joy – Our Next Cafe Book Club Selection
In this episode host Robin Masiewicz and co-host Amy Frost discuss the next selection in our Cafe Book Club: The Book of Joy: Lasting Happiness in a Changing World by His Holiness the Dalai Lama and Archbishop Desmond Tutu with Douglas Abbrams.
The book explores how to live a more joyous life and is broken down into the “Eight Pillars”: Perspectives, Humility, Humor, Acceptance, Forgiveness, Gratitude, Compassion, and Generosity. This is one of a hundred or so (!) books that the Dalai Lama has authored or lent his name to, and the first one with Archbishop Tutu.
“Happy, not only just on the physical level, but mentally. Peace. Compassion. That’s the real joy.” – Dalai Lama
The video below appeared on CBS Sunday Morning in the U.S.
Robin and Amy discuss how the book is organized, and their plans to cover each of the “Eight Pillars”.
The Eight Pillars of Joy:
- Perspectives: There are many different angles
- Humility: I try to look humble and modest
- Humor: Laughter, joking is much better
- Acceptance: The only place where change can begin
- Forgiveness: Freeing ourselves from the past
- Gratitude: I am fortunate to be alive
- Compassion: Something we want to become
- Generosity: We are filled with joy